Get a custom logo like ours for less -
They also have many other Christian gifts
Click here after starting sermon audio to bring up slides and visual aides which go along with the sermon. How to edit and use
PowerPoint Viewer can be used to view our pps slideshow files if you do not have PowerPoint.
Help spread the Word by using the recommendation links, above...it's a proven system that keeps this ministry free!
Grace Notes Sermon Ministry:
NOTICE! Our sermons are free to download, copy and paste, edit and use as you see fit...but only our free subscribers get the newest messages, featured sermons, and some gifts we shower on them from time to time!
The Rehab of Rahab
Joshua 2:1-21; Hebrews 11.31
[the audio version above contains much more than the outline below - as the Spirit led!]
God rewards faith with His salvation...even in the guiltiest sinner. This woman went from being a call girl to being converted by just believing. And she went from ‘zero’ to ‘hero’ in nothing flat! Truly this was much more than a rehabilitation. She wasn’t reformed or conformed...she was transformed! And as an added benefit she became part of the line of Christ...a Greeeeaaaat Grandmother of the Messiah!
The Story Told:
1. Rahab was a Notorious Sinner in a Condemned City v. 1
2. Rahab had a Great Fear of Judgment v. 9
3. She Believed the Report of God’s Greatness v. 10,11
4. She Pleaded for Mercy & Shows Faith v. 12-15
5. She asks for and receives a True Token v. 12 & v. 18
6. Her Household’s Safety is Confirmed v. 19, 20
7. She Demonstrates her Faith v. 21
God has a way of working thru very ordinary and very unlikely people. He can save and use anyone who is available to Him. He didn’t give her a scarlet letter, but a scarlet thread!
I just wonder how this worked out for the spies, who had to return home and explain to their wives that they were saved by a prostitute!
God used Rahab – A woman who had three strikes against her.
1. Strike One – Rahab was a Canaanite, not a Jew. - The Canaanites were a wicked people. A people so wicked and so evil that God used Israel as his instrument to judge them. The Canaanites were Idolaters.
2. Strike Two – Rahab was a woman.- Women at that time were often treated as 2nd class people. They had few rights. (Much like in many Islamic countries today) In many instances they were treated as property. Yet God worked through this woman – Rahab. In America today women are treated very well, unless running for VP of the US!
3. Strike Three – Rahab was a prostitute. She sold herself for money. – God sees potential in every single one of us. No matter what our past.
Rahab had all this going against her and yet she had one great redeeming factor in her favor – FAITH – She believed God.
New Testament References:
Hebrews 11.31 & James 2.25 help us understand the right relation of faith and works.
Faith came first, when she received the spies; Works then came as the result of faith when she sent them away.
Other Lessons from the Story:
1) The Effect of Faith in a Sinner
(a) She believed the news of God’s wrath
(b) She realized God was a great God
(c) She had great fear because of her sin
(d) She desired to be saved
(e) Her cry for mercy included her family
(f) She obeyed the instructions
(g) She trusted in the oath given
(h) She received God’s assurance
2) The “True Token” is God’s Assurance of Salvation
3) The Work of Faith was evidenced by. . .
b) Concern for others
4) The Blessings God Gave to Rahab’s Faith. . .
a) Deliverance from destruction
b) A place among God’s people
c) The honor of being in the genealogy of Jesus Christ
The Application of the Story:
We live in a doomed city too. There is only one hope – Jesus Christ. Let us make sure that our faith sees and accepts the way of salvation.
The Cross is our Scarlet Thread:
C onstraining Compassion
R edeeming Blood
O vercoming Power
S aving Strength
S atisfying Love
Please help keep this ministry free by honoring our system...
Grace Notes Sermon Ministry:
NOTICE! Our sermons are free to download, copy and paste, edit and use as you see fit...but only our free subscribers get the newest messages, featured sermons, and some free gifts we shower on them from time to time!
Help keep this service free by recommending it
using the links above the sermon
All Sermons and PowerPoint Slideshow Presentations ©Copyright Jerry Shirley and Grace Notes Ministries® unless otherwise credited. These resources are yours to use freely, but only in public worship services or private study groups and devotions. They may not be sold, republished or retransmitted in any form without written permission.