[Note: Trouble with this video? Run this quick, free update.]
All service songs used by permission. CCLI #425103
Download mp3 [left click to stream, right click to 'save as' for ipod or CD listening.]
Or, use the controls, below, just like you would a VCR. Double-click the "Play" arrow to begin. This page must remain open to continue listening. To browse the internet while you listen, open a new browser window by clicking on "File", then "New", then "Window".
Click here after starting sermon audio to bring up slides and visual aides which go along with the sermon. [May take 1-3 minutes to open.] Once the first slide appears you can follow along with the message and use the arrow keys to advance the slides. How to edit and use
PowerPoint Viewer can be used to view our pps slideshow files if you do not have PowerPoint.
Help spread the Word by using the recommendation links, above...it's a proven system that keeps this ministry free!
Grace Notes Sermon Ministry:
NOTICE! Our sermons are free to download, copy and paste, edit and use as you see fit...but only our free subscribers get the newest messages, featured sermons, and some gifts we shower on them from time to time!
Who is Jesus Christ to You?
3 important statements:
“God has no grandchildren, only children”
“To be 99% sure is 100% unacceptable”
“The only thing longer than life is eternity”
Take that first statement—
Studies show that if your parents never had kids, neither will you! In other words, just because your parents were Christians doesn’t mean you are...no spiritual genes were passed along to you when you were born...you must be born again! If you’ve never been born then you’re not here...and if you’ve not been born again, then you’re not saved!
Here’s a command to obey—
2 Corinthians 13:5
Do you know that you know that you are saved? Have you ever nailed it down 100%? If Jesus were to ask you, “Why should I let you into heaven?” what would you say? With fear and trembling you’d try to work it out, and word it just right. So, how about it? Examine yourself right now before God examines you on that day. Be honest today, because He will be just on that day! The question is not ‘if’ you are saved, but ‘how’ you are saved. What are you trusting in?
If you say Jesus, then, who is Jesus to you?
Jesus and the disciples are
about 120 miles from
1. Who He is
2. What He’s going to do
These are the 2 things we all must understand—the person and work of Jesus Christ.
The disciples have been
with Jesus for about 3 years, and now it’s final exam time.
He asks first who the crowd says He is, and then who the disciples
say He is. Their answer will
determine where they spend eternity...and your answer does the same.
Be careful as you take the test...you cannot afford to miss on this
question. And you must answer
not only with your head, intellectually, but with your heart, spiritually.
[With the heart man believeth,
They are in Caesarea Philippi, the center of pagan religion.
Who is Jesus Christ to You?
1. This is the perennial question.
This question is repeated in every age, over and over again. There is no neutrality with this question...you cannot avoid it, you must answer. And it doesn't matter what you're right about, if you're wrong about Jesus.
The opinion of the crowd
v. 14 3 theories:
· John the Baptist—because of His preaching of repentance. But Jesus was a far greater preacher than John, and He spoke with an authority that was astonishing. He not only spoke the Word of God, He IS the Word made flesh! John only pointed to the Lamb of God, but Jesus personified the Lamb.
· Elijah—because of His prayers. Elijah prayed and the heavens opened and closed, whether rain or fire. Jesus had a powerful prayer life. The disciples never asked Him to teach them to preach, or to work miracles...but they DID say, teach us to pray! They were blown away by His ability to talk to His Father, and they were happy to learn they could easily do the same.
· Jeremiah—because of His ‘pathos’ = compassion. Jeremiah was the weeping prophet, and was known for His tears. And Jesus was known for being moved to tears...from His view of a multitude in a crowd like sheep w/ no shepherd, to the tomb of just one and the shortest verse in the Bible, our Jesus wept and wept, and still today when we are hurting, He hurts right along with us, His heart breaks for us, and our tears are a language that our God understands!
All of these opinions were
wrong, because you just can’t compare Jesus to another man.
He is unique, supreme, the Name above all names, the God
We’ll never find the right answer to the perennial question by taking a public opinion poll. When it comes to Jesus, the big crowd is always wrong, yet many make public opinion their main method of gaining spiritual understanding.
Invite people to church or to be saved and you’ll hear the same excuses over and over again. This tells me 2 things: 1. The excuses all originate from the same source...Satan, and 2. They’ve heard it from somebody else.
“The Bible is full of contradictions” they say, and usually they have never read it for themselves...they are just repeating talking points.
[ask them to show you one]
“I can worship God anywhere” they say, but they don’t.
“You just want my money” they say, and I reply, “but that’s not all!”
Maybe we need to stop asking them to church, and start asking them the perennial question they need to answer, Who is Jesus Christ to You? If they get a hold of the true answer, they’ll be saved, get into church, and be forever changed!
2. This is a personal question.
v. 15 Jesus narrows the focus.
The opinion of the disciples
Every person must answer this question. The crowd cannot answer it for you. You cannot abstain or opt out from answering...you can delay, but you cannot hide forever, you will answer someday.
There’s only 4 answers really that you can give:
· “He’s a legend. It’s all made up. He never really was.” A very small minority today believe this one. Intellectually you cannot hold this position. Why? Because there’s more historical proof of the existence of Jesus Christ than of any other person in human history. I hate it when cable channels try to deal with Bible stories because they totally botch it up so often. And when they investigate who Jesus was, there’s no exception, they flaunt their ignorance as if it were a neon sign flashing above their heads. But I’ll tell you one thing they never even attempt to do, and that is to deny His existence...there’s simply too much historical evidence to even begin to go there.
· “He was a liar. He deceived people into thinking He was someone He was not. He was a good teacher, a good person who did good things, but He was not God in the flesh.” This position is not even an option. Why? Because He claimed to be God, and if He wasn’t then He was a liar, and good people don’t go around living a lie. It wasn’t a little white lie if He was lying, He was a pathological, habitual deceiver...is that a good person? No! And people can see right thru that kind of liar.
boy would go to school and tell some whoppers about his weekend / the
teacher would ask, what did you do? / “went fishing, caught 36 fish this
long!” / she knew he was lying / next week, “deer hunting, killed 8 ten
point bucks / she knew he was lying / next week, “played baseball, hit 16
home runs in one inning / she took him to the principal’s office / he said I
know psychology, so send him to me, I’ll tell him an even bigger lie and
show him what he looks like / said, Billy, I want to tell you about my
weekend. I was walking thru the
woods and saw a huge black bear and it started chasing me...but just then a
· “He was a lunatic. He was off in the head. Maybe sincere, but crazy...mentally deranged.” But again, read His words, and see how the people marveled. They asked, where does He get His wisdom. The most brilliant minds have studied His words for centuries and have only scratched the surface at the depth of His wisdom! And so, if he was not a legend, liar, or lunatic, then there’s only 1 other conclusion you can make...
· “He is LORD!” in V. 16 Peter got it right! He is the long awaited, oft predicted Messiah, and study your OT and you’ll see His coming and description are all there plain as day, when, where, and how He would come, what He would be like, and what He would do.
How long can you wait to face the question when you know He’s not a legend, it makes no sense that He was a liar, and it’s plain He was no lunatic. Confess Him as Lord today, and not on this day:
On that day it will be too late...today it’s just too simple!
Then once you are saved, make Him Lord of your life. You see, He died to claim me as Lord, and now He lives to control me as Lord.
God's throne is not a duplex...let go of the wheel and give Him full control. Many Christians want to serve Jesus, but only as an advisor.
If Christ is worth anything He's worth everything. Whatever master a man chooses will master that man. The Bible says you cannot serve two masters, but you WILL serve one! Once you are saved you should hang a sign around your neck that says 'Under New Management!'
You can't just tip your hat to Jesus, you must bow the knee.
Who is Jesus Christ to You?
Not only is this question the perennial question, and a personal question...
3. This is a providential question.
v. 17 Jesus says, it’s only by the grace, goodness, and guidance of God that any of us can ever come to the place of answering this question correctly. The right answer comes by divine revelation, not by human speculation. Only the Father in heaven can make the truth real in your heart.
It’s no accident that you are here today. God has arranged the circumstances of your life so you will hear this message, and you will be forced to answer the question, who is Jesus Christ to you? And don’t just answer it in your head...make sure it impacts your heart.
Don’t miss heaven by 18 inches...the distance between your head and your heart. So, what’s the difference between believing in your head and in your heart?
So, who is Jesus Christ to you?
Grace Notes Sermon Ministry:
NOTICE! Our sermons are free to download, copy and paste, edit and use as you see fit...but only our free subscribers get the newest messages, featured sermons, and some free gifts we shower on them from time to time!
Help keep this service free by recommending it
using the links above the sermon
All Sermons and PowerPoint Slideshow Presentations ©Copyright Jerry Shirley and Grace Notes Ministries® unless otherwise credited. These resources are yours to use freely, but only in public worship services or private study groups and devotions. They may not be sold, republished or retransmitted in any form without written permission.